Tuesday, October 4, 2011

World's Longest Book Meme? 1-10

I'm never sure if memes are enjoyable for anyone but the blogger, but I saw this on Happy Catholic and couldn't resist being a copycat.  Besides, Julie and I share a favorite childhood book!

We'll take it in stages, shall we? A little every day ...

1. Favorite childhood book?
A Wrinkle in Timeby Madeleine L'Engle,  The Secret Gardenby Frances Hodgson Burnett, and The Girl with the Silver Eyes

2. What are you reading right now?
The Thing Around Your Neck(for a class I'm helping with), Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse 1)(eBook through Overdrive from the public library; I've had this on hold forever so had to read it when it came in), Brave New Worlds: Dystopian Stories(in print, I own it!), and Gilead(in print, this author is coming to campus Sunday). Oh yeah and I'm listening to The Habitation of the Blessedso I can review it for SFF Audio, usually trying for one disc a day.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I just requested four of the six Giller Prize books announced for the shortlist through interlibrary loan, although I'm not sure I'll be able to read all of them before the prize is announced in November.  I have Neuromancer by William Gibson, A Fire Upon The Deepby Vernor Vinge, and Reamde in the hold queue at the public library. Reamde because it is the alternate Sword and Laser pick, Neuromancer because it will be discussed on an SFF Audio podcast next month, and the Vinge because the sequel comes out soon and I've never read it. I always have piles of books to read and to pick up. That largely dictates what I read next!

4. Bad book habit?
Reading so quickly that I don't pick up on the details others do, and then I don't remember much later.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Swamplandia! at the public library, the Adichie, another book of African short stories, and a book on music copyright from interlibrary loan, and from the work library - seven books on film music that I keep renewing until I finish the course proposal I'm working on.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have an iPad with the Nook, Kindle, Overdrive, and iBooks apps, but I always prefer to read in print if I can.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Ha, I'd never survive with one at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not as much since starting a blog as starting to keep track in GoodReads.  I'm reading more intentionally, sometimes by categories, which I really like, even if I make them up to begin with.  I like reading with intention, and within community. 

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Tie between The Waters Rising by Sheri S. Tepper and Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch.  A shame because I absolutely love other books by Tepper, and Jamrach's Menagerie went on to make the Booker shortlist.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The Dervish Houseby Ian McDonald, hands down. I can't wait to read more of him!

1 comment:

  1. I have the same bad reading habit. On the plus side, sometimes I am surprised all over again when I re-read a book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.