Thursday, April 12, 2012

New Selected Poems of Stevie Smith

New Selected Poems of Stevie SmithNew Selected Poems of Stevie Smith by Stevie Smith
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

April is poetry month, and although I'm in the middle of a stack of books, I needed a break! Stevie Smith is such a fun poet to read, between the bizarre range of her poem subjects to the accompanying drawings.

Some are silly, some are quite serious. I loved this one:

Forgive me, forgive me

Forgive me forgive me my heart is my own
And not to be given for any man's frown
Yet would I not keep it for ever alone.

Forgive me forgive me I thought that I loved
My fancy betrayed me my heart was unmoved
My fancy too often has carelessly roved.

Forgive me forgive me for here where I stand
There is no friend beside me no lover at hand
No footstep but mine in my desert of sand.


Happy Poetry Month!  How have YOU celebrated?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.