Monday, April 23, 2012

Sakura Park: Poems by Rachel Wetzsteon

Sakura Park: PoemsSakura Park: Poems by Rachel Wetzsteon
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Cramming more poems down my throat for poetry month!

Umbrella Weather was probably my favorite.
"...I’m foreign, I’m freakish, I’m out of the loop
until a storm comes and I’m in it again
only deeper now, with a smile no news can ruin."

The other highlights to me were the haiku form poems. Flaneur Haiku is about walking around "her city," NYC, a theme she returns to often, but I think she shines in this more limited format of an extended form haiku.

I also loved Blue Octavo Haiku, which starts with:
"In fat armchairs sat
indolence and impatience,
plotting my downfall."

Genius.

"Happiness? Finding
your indestructible core;
leaving it alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.