Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Planning for Orange July


Orange January/July is a biannual event where bloggers from the Orange Prize Project encourage readers to choose at least one title from the Orange Prize longlist, shortlist, or winners list.  

For Orange January, I managed to make it through four Orange Prize books, two that I also counted for my Around the World Challenge.



When I was in the Caribbean in May, I also managed to read another Orange book - The White Woman on the Green Bicycle, which is one of the best books I've read all year.
For Orange July, I have several titles from the various Orange lists that are currently on my shelf.  I know I'll read at least one, but I'm not sure where to start.  Do you see anything pictured below that you would recommend first?  I'm pretty set on saving American Wife for 2013 (when I'll be doing an Around the USA reading challenge), but other than that I'm open. 


  • Half of a Yellow Sun (winner, 2007)
  • Home (winner, 2009)
  • A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian (shortlist, 2005)
  • Brick Lane (longlist, 2004)
  • American Wife (longlist, 2009)

6 comments:

  1. Have you read Gilead by Marilynne Robinson? If you haven't you should read it before you read Home since Home involves characters from Gilead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have, and enjoyed it more than I expected. I also went to hear her speak last year.

      Delete
  2. Half of a Yellow Sun is my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both Home and Half of a Yellow Sun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.