Friday, March 13, 2015

Jenny's Library Books Mid-March 2015

True confession: I had returned three of these books to the local public library, forgetting I would need them for a photo shoot. By the time I realized my mistake, they were already routed to their original branches and rather than do the rational thing and just put cover images in this post, I re-requested them and took their picture right outside the public library. I got a few weird looks but that's okay! Anything for my devoted readers.

This pile represents three book club books, one recommended book, and two kismet books!

Us Conductors by Sean Michaels
How to Train a Wild Elephant: And Other Adventures in Mindfulness by Jan Chozen Bays
The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle
The Pleasure of Eliza Lynch by Anne Enright
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman

Book club picks included the Beagle (for Misfit Readers, and I am reading at the very slow pace set out for us by the discussion leader), the Enright (for League of Extraordinary Dorks), and the Addison (for Sword and Laser, and most recently named as a Nebula Prize nominee.) The Enright was a huge miss for everyone but we still enjoyed discussing the book, as the historical character of Eliza Lynch is fascinating, the mistress of one of the worst dictators ever known. One of the people in that book club is Paraguayan so of course that added to the discussion.

I came across the Gaiman when I picked up the Addison at the library. It was one of those books I was sure to read eventually but it beckoned me and I followed the call! The Michaels was a book I should have known about for many reasons but I don't remember reading about it, but once I read the description I knew I'd love it.  I will discuss it on a future podcast, so keep an eye out.

The elephant book is a practical, hands-on book to help give ideas for being more mindful. I tried a few of them and then returned the book; this is one it would be better to own.

Not pictured, because I always forget something:

Told: the Art of Story by Simon Aboud
Marketing Today's Academic Library: A Bold New Approach to Communicating with Students by Brian Mathews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.