Sunday, January 3, 2016

New Books In (all book club related!) for December 2015

Slight delay in this monthly post, due to all the year-end posting! This month has a tiny stack because I don't buy many books for myself in a holiday month.

Changeless (Parasol Protectorate #2) by Gail Carriger
The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It (P.S.) by Tilar J. Mazzeo
The Potbellied Virgin by Alicia Yánez Cossío

One of the online bookclubs I participate in, less so these days since I go to bed around the time they meet (10 pm est! I'm old and my dogs get up super early; by 10 I'm beat.) But once upon a time we read the first book of the Parasol Protectorate, and it was a lot of fun. I have been snagging other books in the series when I see them for under $3, but still didn't have #2. I did a little used bookstore hopping between Christmas and New Years and there it was, book #2, for around $2. 

My library's copy of the Mazzeo was checked out and I just knew I wouldn't find it before my in-person international book club meets (on the 4th of January), and was just going to skip this one. Used bookstore #2 had it, shiny and in great condition, in the food writing section. It was $4 but I had more than that in bookstore credit, so it was like a free little gift. 

The Cossío is for that same international book club, in April, but I am leading discussion that month so I wanted to have a chance to read it ahead of time. Amazon had a used copy for super cheap so I snagged it.

Did you get any books for the holidays? Do tell!

2 comments:

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.