Monday, August 21, 2017

Review: Reservoir 13

Reservoir 13 Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am SO TORN about this book. I've been thinking about it for days. I think part of my issue is that how it is being sold to the reader - the disappearance of a girl, the fallout - is not really what the book is. It is true that there is a disappearance but it's a much slower book - about the town, the nature in the town, the seasons, all the little people and all their little lives, the cycles they go through, the long reaching effects of all of the tragedies, the girl included - the way secrets last and others don't, who never leaves and who never stays, who is trusted and who can't be.... all these tiny things beautifully written and forming the quilt of this place.

Except I think I'm supposed to find out what happens to this girl, so as a reader I kept changing how I read. If I read in a slow way with appreciation of the details, it is lovely and effective. If I look for answers I am left wanting. What am I supposed to want and how am I supposed to feel? Sometimes it was excruciating to circle back around, while I found myself appreciating the journey at the same time.

I suspect the book will jump from Man Book long list to shortlist because the judges will like this juxtaposition. For me I'm still not convinced both work in the same book, but I still can't sort it all out. This is decidedly not the read for someone looking for a thrill.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with early access through Edelweiss.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.