Saturday, October 21, 2017

Review: Hadriana in All My Dreams

Hadriana in All My Dreams Hadriana in All My Dreams by René Depestre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A new translation from Akashic Books left the translator with the challenge of finding more words for body parts! I enjoyed this completely bizarre novel set in Haiti with a corpse grandmother, sex-addict butterflies, and the central zombie bride. Voodoo and island traditions saturate the novel and the author communicates the story in three different styles. At first I was completely lost and had no idea what was going on, but just went with it and let it swirl around me.

Thanks to the publisher for providing a review copy through Edelweiss.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Reading Envy blog and podcast. Word verification has become necessary because of spam.